Mentor?

Discussion in 'Cypher' started by Hi-Def, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Hi-Def

Hi-Def New Member

I have been typing to so many people tonight...anyway, I have been trying to rap for a little while now and well I can freestyle a bit but I tend to go in circles. My friends say Im good and have the ability to be good so I want to pursue it. Although I don't think I'm that good though because I'm critical. I've been an avid music listener and poetry reader for years, I want to be able to write like those I admire, Ab-Soul, Meechy Darko, Earl Sweatshirt, Raekwon.
    I feel seen as I take so much from the music I listen to and have such a passion for it, maybe I could give something back and be able to express things I find hard to talk about in a way that may inspire others to pick up a pen.
    The things I'm having trouble with are these
    How do you talk in rap? I understand what the emcee is saying but I dont get how they thought of those lines consisting of those words that perfectly match that beat yknow? For example. I under stand that this emcee is saying,
    "My Dad left 12 years ago, I miss him, I used to pretend I dont but I really do and I remember one time when I was six and wanted to say it but couldnt bring myself to" but instead they say
    "Probably been 12 years since my father left
    left me fatherless
    and I just used to say I hate him in dishonest just
    when honestly I miss this nigga like when I was six
    but everytime I got the chance to say it id swallow
    sixteen im hollow, intollerant
    skip shots to storm the whole bottle
    ill show you a rolemodel."
    See?
    I really have the dedication just need a teacher...
    test