Is Anderson Silva MMA's Muhammad Ali?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Diggles, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

I know I'll catch some hell from the Anti-Brazil movement and then the boxing purists, but I feel like with every fight and every time I watch one of their fights again... the resemblance is uncanny. Now I'm not anointing Silva as MMA's GOAT.. just like I'm not saying that Ali is boxing's GOAT either (old school boxers will always say Sugar Ray).

However.. their speed, unorthodox style, charismatic and sometimes abrasive personalities and overall dominance. Yes, Silva got beaten for nearly 24 minutes before he pulled an upset over Chael Sonnen. The way that fight was talked about, it seems as though its almost chalked up to a loss. Then again, Ali lost in his prime as well.....no one's indestructible. Mind you, Silva's camp claims he had a broken rib and still fought however this could be somewhat of saving face..

Personally, I just don't think his overall charisma will ever be matched. After he got mauled by Chael for 4.5 rounds, he displayed probably one of the most electrifying knockouts in MMA history when he front kicked Belfort and then he made Yushin Okami look silly.

After his fight with Silva, Forrest Griffin said "I tried to punch him, and he literally moved his head out of the way, and looked at me like I was stupid for doing it. He looked at me like why would you do such a stupid thing? Oh did you really think you were gonna hit me? And I felt embarrassed for even trying to punch him."

No matter where you are.. if you say Muhammad Ali.. people get the point and what you meant, no matter the context. In a few years, and if MMA actually reaches the height that its on the rise to achieve.. I think Anderson Silva will EVENTUALLY (many years down the road) potentially gain a similar pedigree.
    test
  2. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

This comment was brought to you and inspired by the Chael Sonnen postfight shit talk fest.
    test
  3. Identity

Identity Shaq fears Yao!

i disagree. silva will never have the cultural impact that ali had. just research what ali did and you'll know why.

silva is mma's goat if he beats gsp, whenever that happens!
    test
  4. PhilaTit

PhilaTit Well-Known Member

Bas Rutten is in my eyes..

Who would win in a fight him or Silva?
    test
  5. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

Fuck Chael Sonnen.
    test
  6. martymcfly

martymcfly Well-Known Member

I don't think that any MMA fighter's going to have the cultural impact of boxing. Even now, Manny and Mayweather are bigger names than Silva.
    test
  7. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

Anderson Silva is the greatest MMA fighter ever. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, boxing is much more traditional than MMA, and it's got a lot more history so it would make sense for boxers to make more of an impact. UFC is only like 7 years old isn't it? MMA hasn't been around for too long.
    test
  8. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

serious?

silva, easily, even if bas was in his prime
    test
  9. PhilaTit

:funny:
    test
  10. My Name Is Bob

My Name Is Bob New Member

Chael Sonnen>

All of his interviews are HILARIOUS :funny:
    test
  11. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

bas was good tho, and well rounded for his time
    test
  12. PhilaTit

Dude has the strongest leg kicks in the business, even more impressive when matched with his underrated boxing skills.

We need more pound 4 pound tournaments like the OG UFC though..
    test
  13. billw84

billw84 throwin' it down

if Anderson catches Parkinson's in the future after Chael beats him up in the rematch, then yes.
    test
  14. DeathChamberz

DeathChamberz From the Page to da stage

Silva won the fight with Sonnen. Regardless if he was winning the fight Anderson made Sonnen tap out. He quit
    test
  15. stadw0n306

stadw0n306 Well-Known Member

7? try 18 lol.
    test
  16. lightskintwin

lightskintwin Black Militant Racist

Awful comparison.

MMA is a fairly new sport with very little history; however it's popularity and exposure is on the incline.

Give it some time, and you probably won't have to make these comparisons because somebody will clearly stand out and dominant while the sport is at it's peak on a global stage and captivate the audience in a way comparable to Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Manny Pacquaio, etc...
    test
  17. SprungyMC

SprungyMC Active Member

Jon Jones is mma's big thing at the moment, I mean I love silva, and he is undoubtedly the best in the business, but jon jones is going to keep growing, and in a division that has lots of stand out performers, unlike the middleweight division, he is going to dominate and sooner rather than later is going to be right up there alongside silva.
    test
  18. j4remi4

j4remi4 Active Member

There hasn't been an MMA fighter charismatic enough to be the Ali of the sport. Anderson Silva is imo the GOAT MMA fighter though. Ali's a name that goes far beyond MMA fans knowledge. Say his name and EVERYONE remembers a speech, a character, a style of fighting...for Anderson, MMA fans EVERYWHERE recognize him, but his fame doesn't go beyond the sport in a universal appeal fashion.

Honestly the only personality in MMA that really had that appeal was Rampage but his story is kinda the reason I doubt anyone will ever reach a level like Ali. Rampage had that kind of appeal and Hollywood came knocking. He left the sport for a hiatus, almost didn't return and hasn't been the same since coming back.
    test
  19. ProfessorU

ProfessorU Legendary Russian Fresh

This tbh
    test
  20. nyccee4

nyccee4 New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.