How Is Black Thought NOT the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by .:Pain:., Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Listenin' to Rising Down made me realize exactly how consistantly disgusting, raw, and honest this emcee is. I was always the guy that said Jay-Z was the GOAT, and this was unchallengable, but my god. The only two albums I really couldn't dig were Organix and Phrenology, and not because of him, because of his production. I cannot find a flaw in this man's emcee abilities. I swear to God I can't. On this album, he can rip a song to shreds like 75 Bars (Black's Reconstruction) and completely flip it with an introspective piece like Criminal. On Game Theory, he dropped social commentaries like Baby with such soul it's undeniable by anyone that digs real music. I've come to the conclusion that Black Thought is by far and away the most underrated simply because I've never seen him at the top of ANYONE'S top ten. Well, now he's at the top of mine. I really would like to hear someone, who is lifelong fan of The Roots, explain to me how Tupac, Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, DMX, or whoever, is better than this man. I've searched high and low for a fault in this man's lyrical ability, and there is none...
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Sales... for some people that's the BIGGEST factor in determing who's GOAT.

BT is also a great freestyler and live performer... two aspects of MC'ing that hardly get mentioned on here.
    test
  3. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

^^true, and pretty much the most important aspects as well

BT is dope as helllll, but I dunno about goat.. I haven't checked into him as much as I should've, so I can't really say
    test
  4. CypherA

CypherA Member

Because Rakim. And Kool G Rap.

Dude is a top 15 all-time though.
    test
  5. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

Black thought is one of the greatest of all time. His writing ability is top-notch... and he is among the most consistent rappers ever. He's my favourite emcee, no doubt.

He's better than Rakim, no doubt in my mind.
    The only bad thing about early Roots material is the fact that I don't really like Malik B. It's not that he's an absolutely awful emcee, he's not... it's just that compared to Black Thought... he gets outshinned literally every time, so he is useless to me. I just wait for Black's verses.....

Dice Raw is better, though.
    test
  6. MLK_Jr.

MLK_Jr. New Member

because jay is a solo artist black thought is a front man he cold and feel
    his shit but he's not better than jay the main reason.....reasonable doubt I dont even have to go past that

Thought is better than alotta dudes and he underared but he is not the best stop the fooolishness
    test
  7. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

Black thought is better than Jay in certain ways; he's less prone to lazy verses... but in general it's hard for me to say that I believe Black is a better overall emcee.
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

They've both dumbed down, but I would say Black's best lyrical performances are better than Jay's... BT is also more consistent... the biggest thing that separates them is SALES.

Oh, so you guys don't forget.

Illadelph Halflife>Reasonable Doubt

X10
    test
  9. Stez

Stez New Member

Black Thought does get slept on alot by me included. Honestly, I'd put him top 5 no doubt, I'll still take at least Rakim and probably Nas over him too tho. I agree tho he's prob above Jay
    test
  10. -Paper Chase-

-Paper Chase- alwaysgotberrybluetoblow

Black Thought is a fuckin beast.
    test
  11. M.T

M.T Registered User

I'd have to agree, if we were talking about influence in the industry and career sales...then it's Jay all day..and I don't know about the goat but Black Thought is more consistent than Jay at this point and has a greater body of work in my opinion
    test
  12. Chain_Smoke

Chain_Smoke Blueprint III

I take it back to cats sayin that they have seen niggas play ball at play ground parks that are better then Jordan.. get the fuck outta here until they step in the league and accomplish what Jordan has they comment is irrelevent.. Jay being Jordan how many nigga's have accomplished what dude has? And Black thought is in my top 10 emcees of all time just sayin BT hasn't done what Jay has done in the industry.. and for those who say they know emcee's better then Jay compare what they ment to the game to what Jay means to the game i bet nobody goes into withdraw if your favorite artist stops makin a albums tomorrow.
    test
  13. barnizzle

barnizzle HIP HOP

75bars blacks reconstruction is raw
    test
  14. jaykay

jaykay New Member

I'll tell you why..... To be honest? Dude is boring. Technically, there aren't many better MC's around than Black Thought. And his consistently is unmatched. But dude is boring. Straight up. He lacks charisma. Also, being in a group such as The Roots, where the actual MUSIC is such a major part of their performance (probably even the predominant?), and because they're also an "alternative" hip hop group... If he did a solo album over proper hip hop beats he'd rip shit up and i'd probably rate him higher, but it's hard when his voice and message is always drowned out by the soundscapes of Quest, etc.

My opinion.
    test
  15. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

Black Thought beats Jay Z in my book any day !!! He is extremely under-rated!! I concur. He is awesome!!
    Breath control superior!!
    Stage presence superior!!

Awesome MC!!
    test
  16. MLK_Jr.

MLK_Jr. New Member

this site is full of deaf ppl
    test
  17. b1nder

b1nder New Member

Yeah ya'll, ideal for a lyrical perfectionist
    Raw, that's what every soldier in my collective is
    Thought, control level is that of a gold medalist
    My level headedness make it come off so effortless

Yeah, illadelph Home of the original gun clappers
    Out on the wrong corner your shit'll get spun backwards

black thought is that dude
    roots get heavy spins in the car no doubt

+1 for philly mc's
    test
  18. Stez

Stez New Member

I dunno I think Black Thought has plenty of charisma, I know I never get bored of listening to him. I also think it shows his diversity and talent in the wide range of beats he is able to rap over as opposed to only conventional hip hop beats. Also dude is great live, goes all out and rips it the whole show without a hype man.
    test
  19. RYDOGG

RYDOGG I've been a Beast b

because wanye is b
    test
  20. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

And people who can't spell and have no grasp of word order, but we're splittin' hairs here.

Influence aside, can someone PLEASE explain why Rakim, Nas, or Jay-Z are better.

That's what I asked for, instead I got a bunch of mother fuckers comin' in and tellin' me who's better. I've heard those arguements, but you dudes can't tell me why.
    lol.
    I don't know son. I've never heard someone say he lacks charisma before. Plus, right after that, you said if he was on some non-Roots beats you would rate him higher, so wouldn't that mean he has a lot of charisma?

I really fuckin' hate that comparison. Jordan being in the NBA had the best talent in the world against him, same thing BL in the mainstream, yet he still is slept on. IMO, it's like when people say Lebron is the best right now, as if they forgot about Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul. Since Lebron is the consensus greatest right now, of course people will agree with the mainstream voices. Same thing with Jay-Z. Sales mean nothing. Britney Spears went diamond I believe, does that make her a better artist than Jay-Z? Eminem has the top selling rap album of all time. What the fuck do sales mean?

I don't even really buy into the whole Jay-Z is biggest influence right now. Influence is over-rated, if you're the rapper you are because of another rapper, you probably either suck, dick-ride, or copy cat and fall short. See Lil Wayne.

Whoever said Kool G. Rap, stop being an elitest.

Flow wise and beat selection, Jay has him by a SMALL MARGIN.

In every other aspect, BT dominates...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.