FL Studio & Motif-ES Rack Info

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by shiftee_X, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiftee_X

shiftee_X New Member

I'm posting this just in case anyone runs into the same problems I did... This is how you get your motif-es rack to work with FL Studio.

1) Run from your racks mono out plug to your soundcard (using a 1/4inch adapter if needed).
    2) If you're using a midi keyboard, run from your keyboard's midi-out to your motif's midi-in.
    3) Connect USB from motif to computer.
    4) In FL Studio open the MIDI settings menu (Options > Midi Settings)
    5) Set Yamaha USB Out 0-1 to Port 1 (or another port if port 1 is occupied) and your Remote Control Input to the motif-es rack (if you're using a midi keyboard).
    6) Open a new "MIDI Out" channel in a sequence (Channels > Add One > MIDI Out)
    7) In the Midi Out channel specify the port you set your motif to.

Before you set the channel setting in the MIDI Out channel to anything, make sure your rack is in [MULTI] by pressing multi. Specify a multi bank to on the rack. To edit the channels in the multi bank press [EDIT] (if you're taken to the common settings screen press [ENTER] until all of the channel track lights go off, and then hold [SHIFT] and press [1/5/9/13] to bring up the channel screen. Edit your sounds and hold [SHIFT] and press [STORE] to save any changes. [SHIFT] + [COMMON] brings you back to the common settings screen for any edits to naming/misc settings on the multi. Hitting multi until it lights red will show the MSB/LSB for the sounds in the channels, along with the patch number (If you need it for some reason).

8) In the "MIDI Out" channel specify the Channel Number to cycle through the channels of the currrent multi.

9) Bang out some hot shit.

To record your song in .wav open up Cool Edit, Sonar, Sound Forge, etc, and make sure you're "Recording What You Hear" from your soundcard, press record in Cool Edit or w/e and then play in FL Studio. I'm sure there's an easier way to record INSIDE FL Studio and cut-out the middle-man but I dunno how to do that so o_O.

I hope this helps someone.

(Oh and if ur using the USB to connect the rack to your computer make sure ur control setting on the rack is set to USB)
    test
  2. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

Hitting multi until it lights red will show the MSB/LSB for the sounds in the channels, along with the patch number (If you need it for some reason).

You kinda passed over this one lightly but its perhaps the most critical part. If you put the MSB/LSB numbers and the patch number into the the MIDI Out Channel in FL, those patches will always pull up whenever you load that FLP file. Plus, if you edit the patches via MIDI, all those changes will be saved in your FLP file and you won't have to keep saving mixer settings on your Motif for every song you make.

Also, if you have a card with SPDIF or fiber optic input, you should go and but the lil $12 cable and connect your Motif using that. I used to hate that if I could sometimes here like a little background hiss if the keyboard's input was loud and nothing was playing. Now, if nothings playing I hear nothing... as it should be. To do that with analog cables i'd have to by some $80 cables and even then the problem is only reduced. This shit eliminates it by design.

You can record shit at any volume below 0db and not worry, cuz even if you have to boost it, the sound is 100% signal, theres no background noise thats gonna get boosted too.
    test
  3. shiftee_X

shiftee_X New Member

cool, even i didn't know that. good lookin.
    test
  4. KhanDST

KhanDST New Member

one bit of advice....if ur running multiple racks, u can just have the controller hooked up to the pc instead of thru the rack, just set the rack number cuz fl should b on autoaccept for the midi controller
    test
  5. shiftee_X

shiftee_X New Member

The problem I've found with this is even with it auto-accepting your controller, if your motif is plugged up through USB, FL Studio will ignore your keyboard, regardless what you do. I first thought it was my keyboard, but then I tried it at 2 different friends' house (each with different controllers), and the same thing happened, so I went with just grabbing a $4 midi cable and running it into the motif. Also there's no reason to use another usb slot on your pc if you can lessen it all by midi, in my opinion.
    test
  6. KhanDST

KhanDST New Member

must b a prob cuz im using a motif 6 as a controller n i got a xv5050 n fantom xr hooked up to the pc seperately...never had a problem with anything
    test
  7. L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D RawKey Productions

whats this about MSB/LSB numbers? i need to figure out how i can do that with my triton LE and my fantom XR so they pull up automatically... any help with that???
    test
  8. shiftee_X

shiftee_X New Member

KHAN:

Maybe it's just an issue with midi-controllers and/or motif 6 rack vs motif-es rack.

LORD:

MSB/LSB specifies banks, while patch numbers specify the instrument within the bank to use. I've never used a triton, or a fantom, so i can't help you there, but the "MIDI Out" channel in FL Studio lets you specify the MSB/LSB (in the "Bank" options") and a patch number. Your life might also be easier if you can get ahold of a definitions file to go with ur triton and fantom so you're not constantly looking up Patch #'s for instruments.
    test
  9. idleproductionz

idleproductionz who wants cheap beats?

I gotta give props to the people that come on here and give this kinda info..... ..

i swear... if somebody that never produced in there life... just came here everyday and read some of the shit people have to say........ itd be equal to goin to music production school lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.