1 Question About Post Production

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Anonymous4aReason, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Anonymous4aReason

Anonymous4aReason New Member

I recorded a couple verses for songs and my producer said he couldn't mix and master them because of the tone, and at points volume is inconsistent. I was under the impression that nobody is perfect, and those inconsistencies would be corrected in the mixing and mastering stage, but he insists it must be fixed in the recording phase. Don't get me wrong, i made sure I was fully prepared for the recordings. I wouldn't be surprised, but I still believe that it can be fixed in the mixing and mastering stage. I question his information because he only has mixing and mastering experience with an instrumental, and no experience with vocals.

So my question: do typical raw rap recordings have tonal and volume inconsistencies that are fixed in the mixing and mastering stage? Or are raw rap recordings required to be near perfect in that regard? What should me and my producer expect in a raw rap recordings before any mixing and mastering?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    test
  2. The Intangiblez

The Intangiblez New Member

Could be that you're working with an inexperienced producer. To answer your questions from my own personal experience -

1 - sometimes, but they are less than ideal and require a skilled engineer to mask the defects. Ideally as a vocal performer you never want to move your head around too much so that the microphone is always picking up the same frequency tones from your vocal performance and isn't phasing or going up and down in volume, or sounding "darker" or "brighter" during the same performance.

2 - not required, but like I said, less than ideal if they are and sometimes it's a case of polishing a turd

3 - get your volume and tone as consistent as possible, as well as the timing down. you want it sounding as finished as possible (minus any plugins except autotune) before you send it to a mixing engineer, so they can get a clear idea of what kind of sound you're actually going for.
    test